Ten Rules of PvP was RE: [MUD-Dev] Interesting DAoC Poll

Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com
Mon Dec 17 14:43:20 CET 2001

From: John Buehler [mailto:johnbue at msn.com]

> Irrevocable decisions in character design and development by the
> players are a massive barrier to entertainment.

> If reclassing and skill point reallocation was permitted in Dark
> Age of Camelot, we'd have the equivalent of an economic model,
> with a supply and demand basis.  Players would be able to adapt to
> the actual balance of the game, regardless of what it is, and
> regardless of how it changes.  If a class is truly uninteresting
> or superfluous, then nobody will play it - as opposed to the
> current Hope Model, where players hope that a class is what they
> thought it would be, and that it would permit them to experience
> certain things.  If a class is truly 'uber', then everyone will
> play it and nobody will successfully oppose it with other classes.
> This will indicate a problem in the game design.  But one that can
> be fixed, and that the players can readapt to.

I rant on this regularly too, and I agree with you 100%. I quit DAoC
after I discovered that the class I wanted to play wasn't going to
be anywhere near my vision within any reasonable time. There are
more games to choose from now, no one is going to hang around
waiting for their class to be viable if the play style is better
supported elsewhere.

Games that demand such investment to advance damn well OWE the
players the right to make changes.

Dan