[MUD-Dev] First use of "avatar"?

Koster Koster
Thu Dec 13 23:05:08 CET 2001

The specific citation they are looking for is its use as a VR
avatar, a representative of a person in virtual space, which leaves
the Anderson book out. They seem to think this usage originated in
SF, and that it specifically originated in Snow Crash. The Hindu
(and original!) definition is almost certainly out of bounds for
their purposes. I fired off an email to the listed contact with some
inquiries--we'll see what comes of it.

-Raph