Ten Rules of PvP was RE: [MUD-Dev] Interesting DAoC Poll

Dave Shepherd dshepherd at mcl-birmingham.com
Thu Dec 13 11:01:02 CET 2001

Azeraab wrote:

> DaoC fails on: 1,4,6,8,9,10, is iffy on 2 and 3, but does adhere to 5.

  4: Bladeturn spell absorbs the next hit, and it is ablative.  Heal
  or being hit removes mez (ignoring the bug if I may).

  6: As fights are over in seconds, and it takes up to 20 minutes to
  reach the PvP area again, you will typically have your powers
  available, and you will use them up at the first opportunity.
  There are a lot of spells that have timers on several minutes, so
  they are 'once a fight' powers.  The idea that you sit on your
  power to finish someone off does not make much sense to me.  Your
  opponent may run away, you may die etc. Hit him with all you have
  as soon as you can.  In attempting to counter your claim of
  breaking rule 6, I highlight different problem which is the short
  duration of combat - you need time to do these things and in DAoC
  you do not have that - granted.

  8 & 10: All dikus will suffer from this.  I don't see the
  difference between 8 and 10 - one follows the other.

I have given some examples to refute your claim, and I know you will
come back saying that this is the case for only one or two
classes/skill sets.  So I would like to say that I do not feel it is
fair to hold DAoC up to this ruleset.  The idea of good PvP being
like chess is an analogy I often use myself, it is right that combat
should have depth and that being a master at combat is something you
learn rather than something you pay for (in time spent levelling or
in cash).  However, this ruleset only covers one-on-one PvP.  Take a
chessboard mid-game - now lets add another queen, knight and rook to
white.  The fine balance of attack/defend, maneuver/counter
disappears.  In DAoC you will hardly ever fight one-on-one, you
fight in groups.  You target the casters and healers first, your own
healers hang back to cure mez - these are the maneuvers and counters
but at a group level.  I play a tank, and I see myself as the sword
of a group, I do not have much in the way of options (#1) but as a
group we have many options in where and when I am used.  Even lone
archers fight groups, picking out the weak or stray players.

I would like to see a ruleset that covers group PvP.  Then we can
start pulling DAoC apart.

Regards,

Dave Shepherd