[MUD-Dev] Managing MUD economy

Bryan Bryan
Wed Dec 12 17:34:45 CET 2001

<snip>

I think this is an excellent thread.  Since I started thoroughly
reading the archives I have been reading tons of theory about
creating a working MUD economy.  What I haven't really seen is some
practical discussion about how to actually set up the economy.

>From what I gather, a true economy must be created by never creating
items and/or gold out of thin air.  Can someone who has worked with
an economy like this give me some more explanation.  Upon MUD
creation do you just create a pool of gold to use?  What do you do
when you want to create a new area? Does the creation of items and
money throw off the economy?

I have also heard things like an immortal must participate in the
economy to gain money to spend on making equipment.  Am I
misinterpreting that idea?

Basically, I'd like practical details of how to do a realistic
economy where gold is not created out of thin air.  Inflation should
be minimal.  Players can trade with each other and stores.  All
stores are player run. Thanks.

Bryan "Cyngon" Helmkamp
News Editor, PlanetTribes.com
cyngon at planettribes.com