[MUD-Dev] economy and population size

Adam Martin ya_hoo_com at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 9 18:42:53 CET 2001

[Note to editor: I showed this thread to an economist friend, and she typed
out this reply. Thought I'd forward it on to the list - hope this is OK?
(since she isn't a subscriber) - Adam  M]

[Response from an economist friend:]

Okay. Let me distil some facts from under the
description+evidence+examples. This is what I understand as the
basic problem. But firstly I'd have to point out that Derek & Chris'
disagreement is based on slightly different models of the economy;
or if I interpret wrongly, then they chose examples to forward their
respective arguements very selectively but inconsistently. In other
words they are not talking about the same thing.

Look at the assumptions below:

  Assumptions:

    [1] Agents in the economy are the sole producer of tradeable
    goods Each agent produce a different good Barter is the means of
    transaction [Derek]

    [2] the above+ there are tradeable goods which in essence are so
    called free goods i.e. they exist in the economy without being
    produced by an agent.  If time is not a factor in this economy,
    i.e. if there is no opportunity cost to the agent to obtain this
    free good, then everyone in the economy can consume the good.

     This time factor was unclear so I shall assume that if the
     agent chooses to go after the free good, he is not forgoing an
     potentially more profitable alternative.  [Chris]

  Problem:

    Too few transactions. i.e. How can the economic system be
    changed in order to encourage players to trade?

  Causes and Solutions:

    1) Too few players

    Given the assumptions, it would imply that there is too little
    diversity in the range of tradeable goods in the economy. People
    trade less because they cannot find what they need.

    Therefore, increasing the number of players would resolve this
    because the economy would have more goods to trade.

      - There is no automatic link between the number of goods in a
      market and trade. It is illogical to say that just because
      more tradeable goods appear, players will sudenly be gripped
      by an compulsion to exchange. If Kellogs launched a range of
      100 new cereals, are you likely to rush out and exchange you
      hard earned cash and buy them all? the answer is
      unlikely. Even if you do,in aggregrate, it simply means that
      trade in previously existing brands would diminish. The net
      gain in trade would probably be zero.

      - The key is to recognise that upon each individual in the
      economy there are constraints. Trade is rationed. An agent can
      only produce so much to offer in exchange for other goods.

      - Hence, trade is driven by need. It is possible to argue that
      if the number of players increase then the trade would
      increase proportionally, but the rate of trade which I suspect
      is the main concern would not neccessarily.

      - In a barter economy, transaction costs are high. Costs in
      terms of search, in real life we are talking about transport
      costs i.e. having to make a journey to find the person you
      need to trade with; inforamtional costs-one might need to
      advertise the wish to sell or buy a particular good; time
      etc. Increasing the no. of players would proportionally
      increase the transactions cost of trade. The problem here is
      the *double coincidence of need* The more people there are the
      nore difficult and more time consuming it is to find precisely
      what you are looking for. Unless the virtual world discussed
      here has homogenous needs. Again I need more background.So the
      rate at which people trade might even go down.

    2) Degrees of difficulty involved in obtaining particular goods:

      - I agree that a small number of players is not a problem or
      it shouldn't be. Economic modelling often starts with the
      Robinson Crusoe economy which consists of one person who
      simultaneously produces and consumes! When trade does enter
      the equation it could perform perfectly effectively with just
      2 agents.

      - The degree of difficulty involved in obtaining certain goods
      determines the supply side of the market. The point being made
      is that increasing the number of people is not going to solve
      this problem, which is a perfectly valid point except it
      wasn't what the dispute was about in the first place, bearing
      in mind the differences in the underlying assumptions.

      - This problem could be easily solved by monetising the
      economy. The lacking of the price signal mean that agents do
      not know and there are no signals to indicate waht the market
      wants. Hence masses of people go and collect the easily
      obtained item and can't sell it. If demand and supply dictated
      the equilibruim price then we should find market clearing
      because as soon as the price for an item rose to disequibrium,
      say higher than for another item, people would go and look for
      it.

      - The rise in consumerism is mainly driven by the increase in
      purchasing power. i.e. if you want the rate of trade to
      increase, given people the means to do so. In this context it
      would probably mean that players should be given more skills
      so that they can produce more tradeable goods.

      - Secondly, the rise in trade came through the improvement in
      infrastructure.eg The industrial revolution [ some historian
      will probably will start jumping up and down at this point and
      make threatening gestures at me] was partly driven by the
      emergence of the market structure on a regional basis.

Ran Shi