[MUD-Dev] [STORY] Story and population size

Matt Mihaly the_logos at achaea.com
Thu Dec 6 20:16:52 CET 2001

On Wed, 5 Dec 2001, John Buehler wrote:

> One last observation would be that it is my opinion that
> implementations of MMO experiences need to back WAY off on their
> ambitious goals.  They need to figure out how to bring a number of
> people into an interactive environment and give them simple,
> entertaining things to do.  Folks need to stop trying to create an
> online world with graphics and story and instead come up with
> something simple and entertaining.  Take a first competent step
> instead of jumping off a cliff and hoping to fly.  As this just
> occurred to me the other day, I'll have to ponder it a bit more to
> see what would be good entertainment.

Erm, you make it sound as if people haven't been taking those steps
for the past 20+ years. It's not as if someone woke up in 1975 and
said "Hey, there are no online multiplayer games around. Let's go
whole-hog and make a 3d graphical one!" There's 20+ years of history
in the MUD industry.

People who aren't interested in complexity are playing hearts and
solitaire.

--matt