[MUD-Dev] Writing a MUD Server in Visual Basic?

Caliban Tiresias Darklock caliban at darklock.com
Tue Aug 21 12:26:51 CEST 2001

On Tue, 21 Aug 2001 10:50:32 -0000, Matt Owen <MOwen at Channel4.co.uk>
wrote:

> A colleague of mine has recently been talking about writing a MUD
> server in visual basic, as he believes that the speed of current
> machines more than outweighs VBs sluggishness.

VB's sluggishness is overemphasised these days. The real concern is
whether Windows is a valid platform, which we could argue about for
years. Personally, I don't see any reason why a MUD written in VB
wouldn't be sensible.

> I'm not so sure it's possible to write a server in VB, even for a
> small scale world (~64 players), aren't there threading and load
> balancing issues ?

Many MUDs support hundreds of players on a single thread. There's no
reason why threads even need to become an issue.

> Thoughts or comments anyone ?

I say go for it. Why the hell not? VB is better and faster than
ever, modern hardware is better and faster than ever, it can be
done. It won't be the biggest and fastest and coolest thing in the
world, but it would certainly do the job.