[MUD-Dev] Pocket PC Development

Ling Lo ling at slimy.com
Tue Aug 21 01:48:26 CEST 2001

On Sun, 19 Aug 2001, Peter Tyson wrote:
>> From: Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com

>> There is actually a small feature on a company doing this in this
>> months 'Edge' magazine. They are basically using the iPaqs as
>> dumb clients for a wireless LAN.

> Yes, they're a Finn company right? I saw their stuff in Stockholm
> since they have partnered with Compaq. There was Quake streaming
> to iPaqs and you could play multiplayer hehe. I roXXored the
> suits.

> Only problem with this neat idea is that there's so few places
> with large wLan setups. I mean, in Europe there's Stockholm
> Airport and parts of downtown Stockholm and...?  That's about it
> really. Maybe some other airports.

Not forgetting theme parks, as stated in said mag.  This would be
ideal for when you have an antisocial group queuing, no need to make
up conversation while waiting to get on the Nemesis.  Of course, it
could be argued that you could have the entire experience streamed
to you in VR and then it'll just be like the Real Thing.

> the industry thinks that wLan base stations will hit up to 3km
> range over the next few years (only 100m at best now) which would
> mean that you could almost have a cell-phone like network (at
> least in cities) and it's dirt cheap compared to a 3G mobile phone
> base station.

Um.  Hope the protocol is up to scratch.  The neat thing about
mobiles is that you can use WAP while travelling at 200 kmph.  Don't
ask.  I suspect any technical issues encountered with wLan will be
solvable.

> So while it's a cool idea, don't expect much for the next 3 years
> at least.

I'd think there will still be issues with planning permission for
wLan base stations, if the objections to the existing mobile base
stations are anything to go by.

It seems to me that a lot of the cool wireless technologies are at
least a year+ away for the Occidents (compared to the Japanese
all-singing all-dancing phones).  Having said that, I think an
interview elsewhere in Edge summed it up: Do you want your phone to
be the size of the GBA or the GBA the size of the phone?  (haven't
got issue with me at the mo)

--
  |   Ling Lo
_O_O_