[MUD-Dev] Personality Types (was Anarchy Online (wasCommunity Feeling))

Marc Fielding mfielding at bluefalcon.com
Wed Aug 15 20:33:34 CEST 2001

Kristen Koster wrote:

> In a lot of ways I think the people who go take tests like that
> are self-selected. But I also agree with what Ling said, the
> questions are funky (how's that for a scientific critique?). There
> are several I'd like to choose more than one answer for and a
> couple I want a NONE option. For some reason I took it twice and I
> know I didn't score the same both times because of things like
> that. It wasn't widely different but enough to notice.

I have no problem with "funky" as a scientific critique, but to
really give it that scientifically pretentious aura, find out how to
say it in Latin. ;) (Unfortunately, a brief search of several online
English-Latin dictionaries turned up nothing)

On a more serious note, what you and Ling saw as "funky" is actually
a standard aspect of psychological quizzes. Oftentimes these quizzes
will re-ask the same question over and over again from slightly
different angles. The purpose is detect and characterize any nuances
in the psyche of the test-taker. Another use is to trip up those who
are trying to portray themselves as something they are not. The
latter type of testing frequently occurs in employment exams
administered to job applicants for (mostly) lowlevel jobs in
companies like Target, KMart, WalMart, etc.  (at least that was my
experience when jobhunting as a teen).

I bet WalMart is more interested in hiring Achievers and Explorers
rather than Socializers and Killers. ;D

Marc