[MUD-Dev] TECH: programming languages (was: Re: TECH: STL / Heaps, etc.)

Dave Kennerly Dave at Nexon.com
Tue Aug 14 01:03:19 CEST 2001

Caliban wrote:
> On Sat, 11 Aug 2001 15:59:26 -0700, Brian Hook <bwh at wksoftware.com>
> wrote:

>> my language of preference overall is Objective-C.

> Good taste. I always liked Objective-C, but it seems only about
> five out of a hundred developers have even HEARD of it, let alone
> USED it. So when I need to work with a team, Objective-C isn't
> usually an option.

I guess we were 1 out of 100. :) They programmed their first server
engine in Objective-C (1994).  That engine is still in use in 5 live
graphic MUDs, the first 3 games + 2 games from a branched engine.
The code looks very organic after the years of gradual mutations,
new limbs, and a few vestigial organs.

The programmers develop new server engines (and all clients), I
think, entirely in C++.  I don't know why one language was chosen,
though, either way.

Dave