[MUD-Dev] Wilderness

lhulbert at hotmail.com lhulbert at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 4 06:56:56 CEST 2001

--<cut>--
Note: This message was written via the list web archives.  There is
no guarantee that the claimed author is actually the author.
--<cut>--
Original message: http://www.kanga.nu/archives/MUD-Dev-L/2001Q3/msg00611.php

"John Buehler" <johnbue at msn.com> wrote:

> If the wilderness really is just filler, then you're going to have
> to put in teleportation, fast travel, offline travel or some such
> thing that negates the very existence of the wilderness.  If you
> put something out in the middle of nowhere and require players to
> reach it via conventional travel, it will only bore them to tears
> because you're forcing them to engage in something that you quite
> consciously accept as being unentertaining.

Which is the point, sometimes.  A well built dungeon that is a large
distance away adds to the difficulty of the dungeon.  Some players
won't have the attention span to get there.  Some will put up with
it, in order to say that they completed it.  Putting it in a hard to
reach place increases the noteriety among the player base for the
people who DO go there.

> The entertainment of the wilderness is going to be derived from
> whatever it is that tree huggers like.  They like the views, they
> like the wildlife, the foraging, the diving off cliffs into lakes,
> the fishing, and so on.

I still agree that this type of wilderness is the ideal.  But for a
GOP player, it will still be considered boring.  In my opinion,
that's OK.  As long as you have a reason to make it that way.

Lee