TECH: STL / Heaps, etc. (was: [MUD-Dev] TECH DGN: a few mudserver design questions (long))

Travis Nixon tnixon at avalanchesoftware.com
Fri Aug 3 14:26:43 CEST 2001

From: "David Bennett" <ddt at discworld.imaginary.com>

> Stl is good...  You have to make sure you don't end up making too
> many copies of things though.  I guess if you like c++ you know to
> use const and & everywhere...  That is the main problem with c++
> and STL, is copying everything all the time.  With careful use of
> const and using references instead of copies you can make c++ with
> STL as (or about) as efficent as straight C.  Of course, bad
> usuage of C++ and STL will make much slower much much larger
> programs.

I used to really like STL.

Now I really hate it.

I would really like it again if it really was STL, and maybe someday
it will be.  Right now its mostly ASTL, though.  (Almost-Standard
template library)

Actually, it may just be Microsoft's implementation that is ASTL.
That wouldn't surprise me.  All I know is that using STL has caused
me some major headaches in code that needs to run across Windows,
Playstation2 (using 2 different compilers), and Gamecube.  So many
headaches that we have to get rid of it altogether.  It's a shame,
really.

> Autopointers are the way the light and the truth for c++ :)

That would be great, except that the way of light and truth isn't
really c++.  But hey, this is hardly the appropriate forum, so
please don't respond to that comment.  :)