TECH: STL / Heaps, etc. (was: [MUD-Dev] TECH DGN: a few mud server design questions (long))

David Bennett ddt at discworld.imaginary.com
Thu Aug 2 14:47:20 CEST 2001

On Thu, 2 Aug 2001, Eli Stevens wrote:

> I love the standard template library.  Unabashedly.  ;) Of course,
> it helps that it is for my language of choice and that I like
> templates just a little too much (when templates are your only
> tool, everything looks like a nail :).  I think the STL is a Good
> Thing, but my practical/real world experience is limited.  Are
> there problems with the STL lurking under the surface?  One aspect
> that concerned me was that while it specifies the complexity of a
> given operation, you don't have any control over the coefficients
> involved.  Would it be a bad idea to rely on it too much?

Stl is good...  You have to make sure you don't end up making too
many copies of things though.  I guess if you like c++ you know to
use const and & everywhere...  That is the main problem with c++ and
STL, is copying everything all the time.  With careful use of const
and using references instead of copies you can make c++ with STL as
(or about) as efficent as straight C.  Of course, bad usuage of C++
and STL will make much slower much much larger programs.

Autopointers are the way the light and the truth for c++ :)

Wombles!
David.