[MUD-Dev] [BIZ][TECH] worlds.com gets patent

Frank Crowell frankc at maddog.com
Fri Apr 27 11:30:41 CEST 2001

Bruce wrote:
> Jessica Mulligan wrote:
>> At 12:05 AM 04/26/01 -0700, Bruce wrote:

>>>   http://www.delphion.com/details?&pn=US06219045__&s_clms=1

>> It'll never stand, if challenged.  The application date on the
>> patent is November 12, 1996; there is plenty of prior art to scotch
>> this.  For example, INN was showing their 3D virtual chat system
>> (CyberPark?) at E3 and other conferences back in mid-1995.

> Sure.  They even reference DIVE, and DIVE was around before that
> (not to mention the other research projects and military systems
> that weren't referenced) and had some similar things if I recall
> correctly.

But wait!  There's more.

Here are a couple of more heart-warming patents that I will mention
(quotes from http://www.vrsource.org/):

[from Lionhearth]

    On the topic of patents, from vis-sim.org "Lionhearth Technologies
    gets a patent for, quote: A system of networked terminal apparatus
    for creating a three dimensional animated work environment wherein
    terminal users of various levels of immersion are depicted as
    avatars in the virtual work environment and wherein actions and
    information of the terminal users is input into the virtual work
    environment through their corresponding avatars in order to
    perform complimentary, independent and cooperative tasks in
    parallel to create simultaneous sets of solutions to problems
    relating to command, control, communications, cognition and
    intelligence."

[from SGI]

    SGI has been awarded USA Patent Number 6219057: "A collaborative
    work environment supports manipulating an object defined by a
    three-dimensional model by multiple remote participants. A
    three-dimensional model of the object is able to be translated,
    rotated and scaled in a work area of a whiteboard associated with
    the collaborative work environment. Each of the remote
    participants is able to view, manipulate, and mark-up the
    three-dimensional model of the object so that the remote
    participants can work collaboratively together."

Looks like the mechanical engineer at the PTO is getting ready to go
on vacation and he is cleaning out his old VR inbox.

frank