[MUD-Dev] Re: TECH: Distributed Muds

Vincent Archer archer at nevrax.com
Fri Apr 27 09:02:04 CEST 2001

According to Brad Roberts:

> I think the trap you referred to isn't in the OO db layer, but in
> the belief that you can use a set of code without knowing the
> semantics of it.  I don't care if its libc or
> libsupperduppercoffeemaker, you need to understand how it behaves
> and what the implications of using it are.

Try to get an OODB salesman somewhere and watch his pitch.

Because, of course, that's exactly what he's trying to sell to you.

  "With OODB, your programmers don't even need to know there's a
  database underneath. We even overwrote the pointer operator..."

Yeah. How much mana for this magic spell?

Thing is, it is hideously seductive in the computer industry, because
it promises to reduce the time needed to develop things. And it does,
but it lets you be lazy (well, more lazy than usual), and the
consequences catch you very late in the development cycle of your
software.

And everyone here knows the basic rule: the later you catch a problem,
the more costly it is to fix it.

--
Vincent Archer                                         Email: archer at nevrax.com

Nevrax France.                              Off on the yellow brick road we go!