[MUD-Dev] Re: TECH: Distributed Muds

Chris Gray cg at ami-cg.GraySage.COM
Thu Apr 26 19:36:46 CEST 2001

> From: Ola Fosheim =?iso-8859-1?Q?Gr=F8stad?= <olag at ifi.uio.no>

> Anyone know how to force a page to memory without accessing it?
> (Like what you would do in order to avoid CPU cache misses) Could be
> handy when you know that you are going to a certain set of pages,
> real soon...

Most Unices have an "madvise" call. Checking just now, I see that
Linux has the call in a header file, but no man page for it. Might not
do anything.

If it works, it tells the OS that you plan on using certain regions of
memory soon.

For getting data from RAM to CPU caches, you pretty much have to be
doing prefetchs, if the CPU supports them. Some advanced compilers are
able to generate prefetch instructions for you. Some advanced
processors are able to watch access patterns and prefetch for you (or
hasn't anyone really done that yet?)

--
Don't design inefficiency in - it'll happen in the implementation.

Chris Gray     cg at ami-cg.GraySage.COM
               http://www.GraySage.COM/cg/