[MUD-Dev] [BIZ][TECH] worlds.com gets patent

Travis Nixon tnixon at avalanchesoftware.com
Thu Apr 26 12:55:56 CEST 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: <bruce at puremagic.com>
To: <mud-dev at kanga.nu>
Sent: Wednesday, April 25, 2001 5:37 PM
Subject: [MUD-Dev] [BIZ][TECH] worlds.com gets patent

> These types of things get old after a while, but this was mentioned
> on gamasutra.com today:

>   http://www.delphion.com/details?&pn=US06219045__&s_clms=1

> It looks fairly general at a first glance, but I haven't read it in
> much detail yet.

Sorry for this completely off topic post, but can I just say that I
abhor software patents?  And that it totally amazes me that somebody
can write somethign like this:

        The Company believes the patent may apply to
        currently, in use, multi-user games, e-Commerce,
        web design, advertising and entertainment areas
        of the Internet.

and STILL not freaking figure out that probably means there was "prior
art"?

Can I please get a patent on the quadratic formula?  Or maybe the
formula for determining distance in Euclidian space?  I think those
patents would be just as valid as 99.99999% of all the software
patents I've ever seen.  :(