[MUD-Dev] Re: TECH: Distributed Muds

shren shren at io.com
Wed Apr 25 22:11:48 CEST 2001

On Wed, 25 Apr 2001, Brian Hook wrote:
> At 01:02 PM 4/25/01 -0400, Derek Snider wrote:

>> A special list could be set up for objects that rot, and objects
>> with programs to avoid traversing the entire global object list.

> That would seem to make the most sense.  A global registry where
> objects can register what events they respond to.  Of course, you
> still have to deal with pathological worst case scenarios.

'm wondering at this point why it's done traversal style.  Why not
have objects register in an ordered time list when they need to be
called, then have a process/thread/whatever descend through the list
cronologically and make the calls?  This might even allow for some
"time allocation tricks" similar to time allocation for CPU processes,
such as the system thinking, "I have a 12 person battle with
associated AIs loading the system.  I'll postpone all corpse rotting
and footprint decay untill the system load drops."

--
Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to fish, and you've created competition.