[MUD-Dev] [BIZ] Advertising sprawl (yahoo)

Matt Mihaly the_logos at achaea.com
Wed Apr 18 22:27:26 CEST 2001

On Wed, 18 Apr 2001, Dave Rickey wrote:

> And I'm using a program that kills all browser window popups before
> they even appear.  There's no long-term future in more intrusive
> advertising as a support for content.  As it gets more intrusive,
> the software to stop it will get more sophisticated and easier to
> use.

What program is that? It sounds nifty.

> This verges on out of context social commentary, but I really can't
> see what can be accomplished by more advertising, in games or
> anywhere else.  We've reached the point where the average savings of
> the american consumer is a negative number, just where is more sales
> supposed to come from?

Well, aside from the fact that America is almost certainly destined to
lose its dominance on the net, I don't buy that argument. First of
all, economies can and do grow. Economics is not a zero-sum game, and
further, in terms of savings, look at Japan. High savings rate,
economy in the toilet for the last decade.

--matt