[MUD-Dev] [BIZ] Advertising sprawl (yahoo)

Travis Casey efindel at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 18 21:12:12 CEST 2001

J C Lawrence wrote:
> Matt Mihaly <the_logos at achaea.com> wrote:

>> I'm not sure one of those stupid little windows has ever gotten
>> fully loaded before I closed it.

> Squid and JunkBuster (IIRC) both come with configs to strip
> newwindow JavaScript (see freshmeat for the appropriate sites).
> There are similar and related tools for Windows if that's your
> poison.  Even simpler is to just disable JavaScript on your browser
> (I rarely to never have it turned on, JavaScript is Evil).

KDE's Konqueror allows you to turn JavaScript on/off on a domain
basis; thus, I can turn it on for, say nobleknight.com (a web site
that sells games and uses JavaScript in some of their forms), but
leave it off for any random site that I happen to browse to.

It also allows you to disable the JavaScript "window.open()" function,
which is what most of those banner ads that also open a popup window
use, and is used by most of those "when you try to leave our site, we
open a new window onto it" traps.

Konqueror also gives you domain-level control over whether you want
Java and cookies, and has a tree-style interface to let you browse
your cookies.

--
       |\      _,,,---,,_     Travis S. Casey  <efindel at earthlink.net>