[MUD-Dev] Movie grosses

Brian 'Psychochild' Green brian at psychochild.org
Mon Apr 9 23:28:26 CEST 2001

-----
>From the link:

In 1998, worldwide gross revenues generated by motion pictures in all
territories and media (including music and ancillaries) amounted to
over $40 billion.
-----

The statistic I heard was that games grossed more than *box office
receipts* for motion pictures.  The $40 billion figure represents
revenues from all territories and *all media*, including music, rental
income, etc.  Later in the article it mentions that box office
receipts equalled "over [$]9 billion in 1998".

The linked article goes on to say that some markets, such as home
rentals, have gone from being considered "ancilliary markets" to being
considered basic markets themselves.  This seems to be a dominant
topic in the article, in fact.

Now, whether nor not counting gross income from all games to income
from just box office receipts is valid is the topic for a whole other
post.

--
"And I now wait / to shake the hand of fate...."  -"Defender", Manowar
     Brian Green, brian at psychochild.org  aka  Psychochild
      |,4-  ) )-,_..;\ (  `'-'    holders for code that works.'"
     '---''(_/--'  `-'\_)         - Andrew Kirmse, Meridian 59 creator