Economic & Currency Solutions (was RE: [Mud-Dev] Broken currencies)

Derek Licciardi kressilac at home.com
Wed Apr 4 23:25:21 CEST 2001

This idea could work in a mud as long as you provide for growth.  In a
situation where the amount was fixed, every new player entering the
game would cause every other player's slice of the pie to potentially
be that much smaller.  In today's world banks create money through
transactions and the reserve interest rate.  While, I can't explain
the exact reasons why $100 becomes $200 over time just by being
transacted through a banking system, I am sure that it can be found in
any management finance book at the college level.  I remember it from
my junior year in business school.

If people placing money in a bank cause more money to be created, the
value you elude to in your thoughts above would better serve as an
index through which the current economy was functioning.  Much like
the Dow Jones Average measures the relative worth of the companies on
it over time, this index could be used as a basis to determine exactly
how much money should be available in the economy.  Using that value
when you spawn a monster, it is possible to determine just how much
money the mob can 'request' from the game treasury.  If there is not
enough in the treasury, the mob only gets what it can.  Keep in mind
that spawning of monsters should in some way also increase the
available gold in the game treasury.  The thought here is that mobs
use currency in their own everyday lives before being beat upon by
players.  The use of money tends to make more money available as a
whole.

I am beginning to ramble so I will cut the idea here.  I actually have
a much more in depth discussion of how to use an index behind a MUD to
regulate the stability of the MUDs economy. If anyone is interested, I
would be glad to take this discussion offline to email.

Derek