Sv: [MUD-Dev] Balancing Melee vs Ranged Combat in Games Which Model Space

Kwon Ekstrom justice at softhome.net
Wed Apr 4 22:23:08 CEST 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Travis Casey" <efindel at earthlink.net>

> Something I've noted is that the two replies so far have both
> assumed a medieval-style mud, where magic hasn't been applied to the
> problems of ranged weapons.  On a modern-day or SF mud with some
> form of guns, you're not going to be able to use reload times as a
> problem.

I play on a full pk text mud that is post-apocalyptic, they use rate
of fire and limited ammo to restrict weapons (more powerful weapons
generally fire slower or have fewer rounds worth of ammo per clip)

> Here's what we did:
>  - Those with ranged attacks would try to shoot back.
>  - Those without ranged attacks could do several things:
>    - NPCs who were free to roam would move -- if possible, at a right
>    angle to the direction the fire was coming from.
>    - NPCs who were not free to roam would begin to dodge in place.
>    - Area builders could set NPCs they created to be aggressive
>
>    The first and third of these had fallbacks; the first would fall
>    back to the second if it could not move away, the third would fall
>    back to the first, and then to the second if that couldn't be done.

Sounds like a fairly advanced system, myself, I would prefer to make
sentinel npc's simply remember their starting location, and either
finding help, or attacking directly.

You gave a somewhat detailed image of ranged combat, but I noticed you
didn't mention anything about the types of arrows.  The projectile has
as much impact to "midieval" ranged weapon as the actual weapon did.

The english has a special armor piercing arrow that was used against
armored targets or siege engines, I don't remember for sure, but I
think it was a low profile iron tip.  They would use "normal" arrows
unless they needed to fire upon an armored target.

-- Kwon Ekstrom