[MUD-Dev] Balancing Melee vs Ranged Combat in Games Which Model Space

shren shren at io.com
Wed Apr 4 13:06:04 CEST 2001

On Tue, 3 Apr 2001, Jerrith wrote:
> At 11:55 AM 4/3/2001 -0700, Brian Hook wrote:
>> At 04:02 PM 4/3/01 +0100, Dan wrote:

>>>         How do you balance characters being able to cause damage
>>>         to a monster/player when it isn't able to retaliate.

>> Allow monsters to retaliate with ranged attacks of their own?

> That doesn't fully address the issue, and isn't a solution for all
> cases.  You rule out the possibility of monsters that, for whatever
> reason, don't have ranged attacks.  (Say a forest animal, such as a
> deer.)  You also don't address players who don't have ranged weapons
> facing those who do.  Finally, assuming we're trying to give the
> creatures believable behaviors, why would a creature ever close to
> melee range with a player who didn't have a ranged weapon?  (The
> last two can be ignored if you assume every player will have a
> ranged weapon, however that seems unreasonable in a number of cases
> as well.)

Wait a second.  Any redesign in player missle attacks is going to have
to also cause a monster system redesign, and vice versa.  The fact
that there are monsters and players both without missle attacks can be
fixed.  As for the deer, well, should a deer be a challenging
encounter for any level of PC?

xxx