ADMIN: Subject header maintenance (was: Re: [Mud-Dev] Broken currencies)

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Tue Apr 3 21:30:43 CEST 2001

<<CC'ed to meta -- please discuss there>>

On Tue, 3 Apr 2001 22:24:46 +0000 (GMT)
Matt Mihaly <the_logos at www.achaea.com> wrote:

> [I've renamed this thread to something more indicative of its
> content. It was previously called Learning from MUDs.--matt]

NOT writing as list owner:

  The cannonical pattern for subject renames is:

    Subject: New subject (was: Old subject)

  It gives a little better tracking and familiarity.

Writing as list owner:

  Which in turn brings up another point.  At the MUD-Dev dinner I
  went around most of the tables (alas I missed one due to lack of
  time and bad scheduling on my part) and asked what they would like
  to see changed with MUD-Dev, and how it could be improved.

  The most common request was better Subject: header editing, and in
  particular, changing of the Subject header as the thread changes
  and/or forks.  MUD-Dev is getting large enough and has enough
  traffic that a little assistance from posters in keeping track of
  threads and keeping them relevant to their Subject: headers would
  help a lot.  In particular it would help the far too many people
  who just can't keep up with the current 20 - 30 posts a day and
  contribute as meaningfully to the list as they'd like to do.

  Two requests came out of the dinner:

    1) Edit and maintain the subject lines!

    2) Lose the [MUD-DEv] Subject tag and let us add our own tags!

  #1 I'm quite sure you can manage without my help.  And of course,
  I well recall who complained at the dinner, so I'll be expecting
  you specifically to lead the way.

  #2 is a little more interesting.  In the discussions the most
  general divides seemed to be TECH, BIZ, and DNG with the
  following (loose) definitions:

    TECH -- Anything from algorithm design down through code
    BIZ  -- The business/commercial end of the field
    DGN  -- All the rest, and in particular anything more design oriented.

  Other tags I'd like to propose enclude:

    OT   -- Off topic (yeah, it happens)
    NEWS -- Fairly obvious
    JOB  -- More obvious (if more rare)

  In the case of a message which straddles topic boundaries, you can
  simply apply mutiple tags: