[MUD-Dev] Re: [rpg-create] HP triangle (fwd)

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Sat Sep 23 21:16:46 CEST 2000

------- Forwarded Message

To: <rpg-create at egroups.com>
From: "Klaus Æ. Mogensen" <klaudius at get2net.dk>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 14:08:28 +0200
Subject: Re: [rpg-create] HP triangle

"Troy Gustavel" <troy_nevermore at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I have, several times, on this list seen reference to a hit point
> triangle, or health triangle, or something like that. What is it and
> where can I find the write up on it?

There's several versions, but the general idea is something like this:

Your hit points are not arranged in a lime, but in a triangle, e.g. if you
have 17 hits, you arrange them like this:

*
* *
* * *
* * * *
* * * * *
* *
(1+2+3+4+5+remainder).

When you take a number of hits, you decide which row you cross them from
(all from same row, left to right). If you are forced to cross out an
entire row, you are stunned, and any additional hits are carried to a
second row (if two rows are crossed out in a single blow, the result may be
more severe, e.g, KO).

As I said, there are several variations. Some use a vertical treshold line
somewhere down the middle, where bad things happen if damage cross it.

A nice feature of this is that tough characters can take heavier hits than
not-so-tough one without getting stunned -- at least for a while. Heavily
damaged characters can be KO'd by attacks that wouldn't have fazed them
when they were fresh.

One bad thing is that there may be some skill to placing damage the optimal
way, which makes a character played by skilled players better able to
handle damage than teh same character played by an unskilled player.

Klaus Æ. Mogensen
http://hjem.get2net.dk/Klaudius

Our dried voices, when we whisper together
Are quiet and meaningless as wind in dry grass
Or rats' feet over broken glass in our dry cellar

------- End of Forwarded Message

J C Lawrence                                 Home: claw at kanga.nu
---------(*)                               Other: coder at kanga.nu
http://www.kanga.nu/~claw/        Keys etc: finger claw at kanga.nu