[MUD-Dev] FW: [uodevlist] OT - Lawsuit on Lum's

Nathan F. Yospe yospe at kanga.nu
Fri Sep 22 17:06:34 CEST 2000

Myschyf <myschyf at xrgaming.net> said:

> >Jeff Freeman wrote

>> This question came up on the UO newsgroup:  Other than hospitals, are there
>> any for-profit companies that use volunteers?  I couldn't think of any,
>> other than AOL.

> Nursing homes, retirement homes and communities, newspapers (unpaid interns
> or very lowpaid, same thing IMHO), for that matter any unpaid internship
> could probably be considered the same thing.   Then there are smaller
> magazines, newspapers, and websites that cover a 'niche' which are
> for-profit (even though they don't show one and probably never will) that
> are staffed almost entirely by volunteers.

Political committees, libraries, pools, parks, and soup kitchens, public
service bureaus, womens' and chidrens' shelters, thrift stores, colleges
and high schools, athletic clubs, conventions... and the list goes on...

Seems to me that volunteerism, even in for-profit environments, is quite
a part of many fundamentally important elements of our society.  I have,
in my years, put in many hours at several of the above, including ones I
needed professional certification for (battered childrens' shelters, for
example), and expected no _financial_ return for.  I would have resented
someone telling me that I couldn't help the children in the shelter that
was for-profit, took fees from state and client, where clients were most
often serving state ordered treatment-instead-of-prison... The children,
generally, were cared for at no direct profit, as an aspect of the total
service... which has a great deal of similarity to volunteerism at UO in
my estimate.

Of course, helping abused kids is good, and, too the eyes of much of the
public, online games are evil, and who cares if they get screwed?

Just some perspective...

--
nathan.yospe at isearch.com      Born In     Don't mind me, I'm just insane
New home page TBA           The Year of       there's someone else here,