[MUD-Dev] Bad Name Lists

Mordengaard mordengaard at redhotant.com
Thu Sep 21 16:53:30 CEST 2000

> From: "Michael Tresca" <talien at toast.net>
> Ultimately, auto-screening is never as good as a person monitoring the
> names.  Not that anyone can spare the staff, but having a system that
flags
> certain names for a coder to review may be a good compromise.

On Yhared we don't care what people enter as their user name (as long as
it's unique amongst all the other user names), since we generate
the -character- name randomly based on race (Humans will have names like
Peter Smithson, Elves will be called things like Loren Leafrunner etc).
This
system actually has several parts to it - the first name is generally taken
from
a list of appropriate names, but the second (family) name is generated from
one, two or more words in a list (in the previous example, "leaf" and
"runner"
were combined - this could easily have been "tree" + "runner").

We also have an option for players to submit a name for approval (we expect
most people to do this actually).  Using character names also allows us to
easily implement a recognition/introduction system (including disguises,
name changes etc).

I know this isn't an original idea, but I wanted to throw it up as an
option.

Mordengaard (Yhared MUD)