[MUD-Dev] DoS and muds

Shawn L Johnston sjohnston at satshot.com
Thu Sep 21 09:58:30 CEST 2000

----- Original Message -----
From: "Josh Rollyson" <dinodrac at summit.magenet.com>
To: <mud-dev at kanga.nu>
Sent: Wednesday, September 20, 2000 1:21 AM
Subject: [MUD-Dev] DoS and muds

> Denial of Service (DoS) attacks are unfortunally very common on my other
> addiction (IRC) and I was thinking about something, what about MUDs.
>
> Has anyone ever though about the effects of a denial of service
> attack against a mud and how they could be used to cheat ?
> Crash bugs have been used to cheat for a long time but what about attacks
> which render all connections unusable ?
> I could see where that could be used to freeze an opponent to prevent them
> from trying to escape :
> Spam a few commands
> Packet flood the mud in question ( won't go into the details of how -
thats
> for bugtraq list)
> Wait a minute or two
> Stop packeting
> Loot player.
>
> Also has anybody had experience with players trying this, and has anybody
ever
> tryed to come up with a way to prevent this ?
>
> Right now the only way I see to logicly stop this is to threaten deletion,
> which would negate the gains from this , but probably provoke more
attacks.

Yes, saw this in Dark Sun Online where a few people were able to get into
the
high sysop powers and were able to (temporarily) eject other players from
the
game. Stuff like this mostly happend as the game was getting ready to shut
down
though so it was there werent many staff to address the problem.

Shawn