[MUD-Dev] question

Dave Rickey daver at mythicgames.com
Fri Sep 15 10:10:39 CEST 2000

-----Original Message-----
From: Koster, Raph <rkoster at verant.com>

group
>> interaction? Is anyone focussing on respect-based success mechanisms?
>> Thanks.
>
>Dark Ages of Camelot uses statically defined groups based on place of
>origin. The theme is vaguely historical (sorry, Dave, but the art is
>anything but! ;) and there are three (?) factions set up. Dave can probably
>expand on this.

    Yeah, we decided the Arthurian myths were already such a mix-and-match
kind of thing, restricting ourselves to historical accuracy would be
self-defeating.  In all honesty, I'd have to describe it as flavored
fantasy, with a serious attempt to go back to the pre-tolkienized sources of
the legends, and "cool" trumping historically accurate in most conflicts
(8th century arms and armor just isn't nearly as flashy).

    It's based around three Realms (Briton, Norse, Hibernian), essentially a
3-way "switch", without consent you cannot attack anyone from your own Realm
but you can freely engage anyone from another Realm.  "Relics" provide
realm-wide bonuses when placed in Shrines, only enemies can remove a Relic
from it's shrine which starts a timer, if you don't get it to your own
shrine in time it goes away.

     "Respect" in the terms Matt mentions is still mostly out of context,
however the game will track "Realm Points", essentially a measure of how
active you are in pursuing the Realm wars.  Killing members of enemy realm,
healing/buffing people who are killing enemies, and taking/recovering Relics
are the kinds of things that will boost Realm points.  We're also exploring
some options for removing some of the in-context/out of context barriers for
player Guilds, but that's still pretty close to the vest.

--Dave Rickey