[MUD-Dev] Are eBay sales more than just a fad?

Jeff Freeman SkeptAck at antisocial.com
Wed Sep 13 01:11:55 CEST 2000

Matt Mihaly wrote:
> And if I want a castle and don't feel like defending it, because having a
> castle is fun and defending it is not fun? (a reference to your argument
> that everything players have to do in games should be fun)

Ideally, defending it is the whole point of having a castle.  If you don't
want to defend it, then you don't want one.

> Seems like a winning solution to me, from the game companies point of
> view. Player X will pay you to NOT use their bandwidth.

Of course.  Yet I wonder, Matt, do you purposely design your world so that a
majority of players want X and yet the route to achieve it is so incredibly
un-fun that they are willing to simply PAY some other player so they can
skip it?

I never got the impression that your MUD involved a lot of mindless camping.
Holding out on us?