[MUD-Dev] Game Balance and Mortal Complaints

David Bennett ddt at discworld.imaginary.com
Fri Sep 8 12:01:09 CEST 2000

On Fri, 8 Sep 2000 SmokEater952 at aol.com wrote:

> I guess I am looking for ways to handle the PR aspect of these sort of
> changes, or the question of should they have been made at all. Should we have
> left it alone and just made sure that all new adds where balanced? I find
> myself in a tight spot as I am in charge of both RP and LAW. Not a good combo
> to have I guess. Or am I just to worried about what the MORT's think and
> should me thoughts be more on making sure that we have a world that is
> balanced?

On Discworld we have found it works better if you tell the players
what you are going to do before you do  it, and explain your
reasoning.  They will argue with you, and perhaps even make good points
which change how you do things, but it gives them a chance to air
their opinions first and then they are less shocked and upset when
the change actually occurs.

Slowly fluffing away,
David.

PS Discworld has been running for 9 years.