[MUD-Dev] Criminalize Community Volunteers?

Paul Schwanz - Enterprise Services Paul.Schwanz at east.sun.com
Fri Sep 8 10:47:47 CEST 2000

John Buehler said:

>This strikes me as very strange, Madrona.  If AOL cannot financially tolerate
>paying salary, paying benefits, as well as managing and equipping that many
>employees, why insist that they be employees?  Such insistence means that
>certain business opportunities will simply have to be passed over as
>non-viable.  And those business opportunities can be very interesting to the
>potential customers.

I'm not picking on you, JB...really, I'm not.  ;)  But if we take this argument
to its logical conclusion, might we not say:

If AOL cannot financially tolerate paying minimum wages to its employees, why
insist that they do?  Such insistence means that certain business opportunities
will simply have to be passed over as non-viable.  And those business
opportunities can be very interesting to the potential customers.

What is the difference?

I haven't figured out yet whether I'm playing devil's advocate or not.  I
think I am, though.  ;)

--Phinehas