[MUD-Dev] Criminalize Community Volunteers?

Peter malaprop at malaprop.org
Thu Sep 7 20:14:57 CEST 2000

>>"Josh Olson" <jolson at micron.net> wrote:
>> That may be the players' perspective, but whether that's accurate is
>> entirely up to the people running the volunteer program in question.
In
>the
>> case of EverQuest, we were excruciatingly careful not only to
identify and
>> screen for the types of people who would make good Guides, but to
>adequately
>> train, mentor, and monitor them.
>
>Jeff Freeman wrote:
>That doesn't make it less of a "game" to level-up through the ranks.
>
>> Advancement was based on merit, not tenure or popularity.
>
>I'm thinking that it doesn't matter what the method of advancement is,
if
>you have a method of advancement, then I can make a game of advancing
>through the ranks.

	He's saying advancement is only based on the guide helping out. If you
make it a game to help out more than anyone else, or be the nicest guide
around, or be the best arbiter of disuptes, what's wrong with that? I
think that's intentional and positive- try to get the guides to be the
best guides they can be.