[MUD-Dev] Criminalize Community Volunteers?

Willowreed at aol.com Willowreed at aol.com
Wed Sep 6 21:11:19 CEST 2000

In a message dated 9/6/2000 8:00:58 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
ananda at winterreach.com writes:

>  There's only two differences between the way GEnie did it and the way AOL
>  did it:  AOL is flat-rate, and AOL relied on uncompensated volunteers for
>  many of the positions that received royalties on GEnie.  (GEnie*Basic did
>  provide free message boards, but the big time-wasters like chat and games
>  were still $6/hr.)  Of course, AOL has gotten rid of most of their
>  volunteers by now.

AOL is flat rate NOW, but back in 94 when I started it was $3.85 an hour with
15 free hours.  OH accounts like some of us had were worth everything in the
world to have.  Most of us had bills up in the high hundreds every month
before we got chosen for the program.  You didn't hear us complain about
volunteering, i kid you not.  At that point we worked three three hour shifts
a week.  9 hours plus 'paperwork.'

NOW of course its flat-rate.  which changes things a little.

More clueless people online, more rude and unsupervised young people..argh..

:::sniff:::::sob::::

I miss the old days, when online = land of geekdom.

wils