[MUD-Dev] End of volunteers?

Greg Underwood gunderwood at donet.com
Tue Sep 5 18:38:31 CEST 2000

Peter writes:

> 	What it doesn't mention though, is small muds. There are only a
> handful
> of muds out there that don't survive on volunteers in the form of
> immortals or guides. I'd also guess that there are few muds that could
> afford to pay staff. While muds are not typically run by for-profit
> corporations, they're also not often run by 501(c) non-profit
> organizations. This impending case may mean much to the mud community.

I really don't think small, hobby Muds are anything remotely the same.  As
you mentioned, there is (usually) no money involved.  If the case goes
against AOL, I don't see how it could be applied to hobby Muds.  Granted, I
ain't a lawyer, but contrary to popular belief, a large chunk of law is
grounded in something resembling common sense.

Just my $0.02

-Greg