Fwd: Re: [MUD-Dev] absolute vs. relative coords

Nathan F.Yospe yospe at kanga.nu
Thu Oct 19 21:18:34 CEST 2000

KevinL <darius at bofh.net.au> said:

> Question for anyone doing coordinate-based stuff: If you're keeping
> the co-ordinates that an object exists at, are you keeping them as
> absolute coordinates across the whole mud, or as relative
> coordinates within the particular room/container/whatever they're
> in?

Nested relative.  After all, the universe does too...

> If absolute, how do you deal with moving - where every object
> inside/being carried by a moving object also needs it's coord
> updated?

> If relative, how do you figure out what objects are within a certain
> area/at a certain point, given some objects may be inside others and
> thus not be using the same coord numbers?

Queries to objects (return data in format visual, wavelength 650,
visual resolution 55cm (inverse square reduction), angle 0.345x1.131,
seperated on gamma .43) or affects to objects are passed to contained
objects, and relative containment is fluid enough that an object can
effectively fail to contain another object, placing it into its
parent's coordinate field when integrity is reduced (a breaking
fishbowl places the fish and fluid in the room's coordinate field) or
removing it into a private coordinate field upon consumption (the cat
places the fish in it's stomach...)

--
nathan.yospe at isearch.com      Born In     Don't mind me, I'm just insane
New home page TBA           The Year of       there's someone else here,