[MUD-Dev] absolute vs. relative coords

Nathan F. Yospe yospe at kanga.nu
Tue Oct 17 19:41:51 CEST 2000

KevinL <darius at bofh.net.au> said:

> Question for anyone doing coordinate-based stuff:  If you're keeping the
> co-ordinates that an object exists at, are you keeping them as absolute
> coordinates across the whole mud, or as relative coordinates within the
> particular room/container/whatever they're in?

Nested relative.  After all, the universe does too...

> If absolute, how do you deal with moving - where every object inside/being
> carried by a moving object also needs it's coord updated?

> If relative, how do you figure out what objects are within a certain
area/at a
> certain point, given some objects may be inside others and thus not be
using
> the same coord numbers?

Queries to objects (return data in format visual, wavelength 650, visual
resolution 55cm (inverse square reduction), angle 0.345x1.131, seperated
on gamma .43) or affects to objects are passed to contained objects, and
relative containment is fluid enough that an object can effectively fail
to contain another object, placing it into its parent's coordinate field
when integrity is reduced (a breaking fishbowl places the fish and fluid
in the room's coordinate field) or removing it into a private coordinate
field upon consumption (the cat places the fish in it's stomach...)

--
nathan.yospe at isearch.com      Born In     Don't mind me, I'm just insane
New home page TBA           The Year of       there's someone else here,