[MUD-Dev] Mud / Web Integeration

Wes Connell wconnell at skotos.net
Thu Oct 5 18:51:03 CEST 2000

On Thu, 5 Oct 2000, Lee Hulbert wrote:

>  The idea of help files available on web pages ahs given me an
>  interesting idea.  Has anyone thought of giving new players a web page and
>  graphical
>  (Java,cgi,perl, whatever) interface for creating a new character?  Put the
>  basic character creation functions into a web form, and allow the players
>  adjust their choices at will before creating a final character file.  Maybe
>  even a graphic that changes based on player choices.  When final tweaking
> is
>  done, the page could submit the completed character to admins(if that's a
>  required step) or directly to the game server, to activate that account.  A
>  user-friendly character creation scheme, and a (slight) load off the game
>  server, by relgating that function to the web server.  Sound feasible?

The idea is very feasible. The first Skotos game Castle Marrach uses a
series of web pages to create a character and give the player a nice start
story before opening the game. Its definitely a good method of getting the
player 'in the mood'. Obviously a web page offers a different medium
(pretty pictures) of transmitting info than text does. The only hard part
is having the web interface speak to the backend of your player database.

You can check out our web based character creation...
Here comes the plug: http://www.skotos.net/games/marrach/index.html