Fw: [MUD-Dev] Importance of User Documentation

David Bennett ddt at discworld.imaginary.com
Mon Oct 2 12:46:10 CEST 2000

On Sat, 30 Sep 2000, Stephen Newby wrote:

> So, say a player types:
>
> get
>
> What that player would then see would be something similar to this:
>
> Command: get
> Syntax: get <what> [from <who>]
>     <what> - The item wanted, with a numerical prefix to specify which
>     one, if more than one. So, 2.sword will get the second object named
>     sword in the current room.
>     <who> - If the item is on a PC or NPC, this is the PC or NPC the
>     item is on. Note, getting an item from a PC is considered stealing!
> Also See: get give put objects steal

We used to do this on discworld, it rappidly gets very irritating though :)
So now it comes up and says:
see  'Syntax get' for syntaxes.

We also log help file checks, although I am not sure how often we look at
those...  We also try and suggest other things when they make spelling errors.
ie:
help combat
Could not find any help on 'combat'.  Perhaps you are looking for fighting.
help me
Could not find any help on 'me'.  You might find what you're looking for in
'help essentials'.

All our help files are formated using a nroff like formatting language, so
they look quite nice and professional.  Feels quite odd seeing totaly
unformated helkp files on other muds.  Much harder to read...

Sometimes we get amusing links too...:
Could not find any help on 'nipples'. Perhaps you are looking for impale.

Hmming carefully,
David.