[MUD-Dev] Threads

Ben Chambers bjchambers at pheonixdsl.com
Thu Nov 30 20:29:59 CET 2000

<<EdNote: HTML duplicate of text content of message removed>>

Bruce wrote:

> Ben Chambers wrote:
>
>>      Some MUDs advertise a Player Thread and a Builder
>> Thread.  What are the benefits of these, and why do
>> people feel they are so good?
>

> Ben,
>
> This question isn't really so clear what you mean, or what you've
> been looking at, or what the design considerations are that
> you're thinking about.  Some information there would be useful.
>
> But:
>
> I've not seen Player vs Builder -threads-, but rather player
> ports vs builder ports.  Is that what you meant?  If so, I
> personally don't see the point in it.  If it is meant for
> security, the way I'm used to seeing things set up (different
> command interfaces vended out to different users), works better
> for me as I prefer more granular control over what I allow a user
> to do and what I allow a builder to do. (As well as admin and all
> of the other types of staff.)  This is avoiding discussion of
> entirely separate interfaces (web, custom client, LDAP server,
> whatever) for content creation (assuming that is all that a
> builder does).
>
> However, if you did mean threads... Why would you break it down
> this way?  What is your goal with using threads?  How skilled of
> a programmer are you?  Threads are useful, but it may be
> difficult to get the synchronization and locking issues solved
> unless you've been working with threads for a while.  Also, if
> you are using them to achieve greater scalability, a
> thread-per-connection isn't such a great idea.  Or are you
> thinking about using them so that laggy commands run by builders
> don't slow or halt the execution of commands executed by the
> players?  What are your intents and goals?  Without having some
> context within which to place your problem, all anyone can do is
> guess. (Which is probably why no one else responded yet.)

   Your right, I did mean ports.  But in the MUD I am writing, each
player is assigned their own thread so it is essentially the same
thing.  And I agree with the comment about ports being pointless, after
all, the same effect happens with a single port, only you have to code
it specially, but multi port would have to be coded even more
difficult.  The reason I asked was because to me it seemed so pointless,
that I wondered if their was a hidden purpose, which made people use them.