[MUD-Dev] "An essay on d00dism and the MMORPG"

Corey Crawford myrddin at seventh.net
Tue Nov 28 17:35:16 CET 2000

> John Buehler writes:
>
> I think this discussion took a left turn somewhere.  I believe the original
> point was that some people are d00dish when placed into a given environment,
> and that the environment should be altered to accommodate d00ds such that
> they aren't inspired to be d00ds any longer.  Something that I happen to
> agree with.

Hmm, what you say makes sense.. now how do we go about and accomplish this?

I mean, are we suppose to baby-sit these kids, and 'raise' them above the
immature attitude of 'd00dism'? Ideally, we'd want them to be in an environment
that discourages d00dism, but not 'raise' each one individually 'cause that's
not our job.. or is it?

To me, the only way a d00d will stay a d00d is if there are other d00dz who
think it's cool to be a d00d.. so in short, if no one was a d00d, there really
wouldn't be any .. at least not a d00d that last for very long. So, do we force
our other players (non-d00d's) to 'adopt' a d00d and 'raise' them to the correct
attitude we want on the game?

Maybe we should just restrict our games to 18+ yo's (I'm over 18 now, so I
wouldn't object too vocally ;) so they we are pretty sure there won't be very
many d00dz (yes, there will be some.. but not as many).. and hopefully there
would be enough non-d00dz around to discourage d00dism. What say you?

Should we just habitually punish d00dish behavior? Maybe they'd get tired of
being tracked down and killed by the 'Paladin of the Anti-d00d God' and just
leave the game.. but then we lose their money. Hmm.

How do we accomplish this 'environment' where everyone is satisfied and we
discourage d00dism?

---
Corey Crawford | myrddin at seventh.net | www.seventh.net