[MUD-Dev] Object Models

Dmitri Zagidulin zagidud at allegheny.edu
Thu Nov 16 18:59:48 CET 2000

On Thu, 16 Nov 2000, J C Lawrence wrote:

> What you are talking about is called "multiple inheritance".  It is
> not an entirely trivial topic, and in fact has a number of very ugly
> aspects.  Its worth spending some time reading up about multiple
> inheritance and single inheritance via your favourite search engine.

Question for you guys - when do you actually _need_ multiple inheritance?
I can't think of an example where one would need multiple inheritance
which couldn't be elegantly expressed (or at the very least expressed
without much extra effort) as using regular inheritance with components.
Can you think of one?

Also, for an excellent discussion on inheritance (including the multiple
kind), check out the inheritance chapter in Bertrand Meyer's classic
"Object-Oriented Software Construction, 2nd ed":
http://www.eiffel.com/doc/manuals/technology/oosc/inheritance-design/

- Dmitri