[MUD-Dev] Object Models

Ben bjchambers at phoenixdsl.com
Wed Nov 15 21:41:12 CET 2000

    Okay, I am aware that a) this may have been discussed prior, and b) it
may go a little to far into technicalities, however I feel that this is a
very controversial subject in the minds of many programmers, as it has a
major impact in the way the MUD is engineered.

    Now what I am wondering is how you all handle the objects in your MUD.
The two camps that I am aware of is the strict old style method of
definining every single object.  The alternative camp is that which feels
that you should have multiple types of objects, and then have each object
dynamically inheriting the properties that pertain to it.  The problem I
have run into is a) how do you handle the dynamic inheritance b) how do you
error check with dynamic inheritance and c) how do you save/load dynamic
inheritances.  I realize that dynamic inheritance may not even be possible,
but from what I have heard that seems to be what you all are talking about.
Basically I want to have an object type named object, everything else
derives from object, but has additional properties.  For example I have an
object that is both a key and a monster.  Instead of having an object type
key_monster, I would like to have an object of type object that has
inherited the properties of a key and of a monster.

    How do you handle these things?

Ben Chambers
BJChambers at phoenixdsl.com