[MUD-Dev] integrated character webpages ala Black and White c reature pages

Koster Koster
Wed Nov 8 12:01:54 CET 2000

[[[And this was my reply to it...]]]

> > From: msew <msew at ev1.net>

> > MMP games should provide some method to allow these non technical users
> > put information about their character and their character's experiences
on
> > the web.
>
> I haven't tried it myself, since I know enough HTML to get by on, but
there
> is a user-accessible web-page building system on the lugnet.com server (a
> privately run Lego interest site). Those interested in doing this sort of
> thing (which I agree is a good idea) might want to look at the
implementation
> there - it seems fairly popular. There is also a site (brickshelf.com)
which
> makes it easy to build pages of pictures.

The MyUO portion of the UO website does some interesting stuff on this
front, including letting you display your character's in-game appearance on
the website, dislpay guild affiliations, etc... it's all done by datamining
the game's database. This is nice because presumably whatever content
restrictions you have in your policies will already be enforced on your
actual in-game content.

As far as putting up stories--there is a very large concern with
user-generated content and liability there, even for hobbyist muds. It's
very easy for this to outpace your ability to vet the submitted content,
leading to your website hosting material that you may well not want on
there.

-Raph