narratology WAS Re: [MUD-Dev] Self-Sufficient Worlds

Angela Ferraiolo a.ferraiolo at worldnet.att.net
Mon May 29 22:23:13 CEST 2000

----- Original Message -----
From: "Zak Jarvis" <zak at voidmonster.com>
To: <mud-dev at kanga.nu>
Sent: Sunday, May 28, 2000 7:59 AM
Subject: RE: [MUD-Dev] Self-Sufficient Worlds

yeah, it can be described by narratology
as pointed out elsewhere on the list...
generally, you create worlds that are isolated.
but those worlds each produce some type of narrative
(the biographies or some form of biography)
these are your embeddings
what usually happens next is that the story choices
generated by these embeddings
begin to operate across all the worlds.
if you don't know the potocki book,
how about salinger's THE LAUGHING MAN?
that's an embedded narrative that is much
shorter and easier to take apart, though
it doesn't use biographies in the way you
wanted, instead salinger uses a story
hope this helps
--- angela