[MUD-Dev] Thoughts about smarter Sims

Jon A. Lambert jlsysinc at ix.netcom.com
Sat May 27 16:19:01 CEST 2000

A typical Mud server receives thousands of inputs per day or hour
from its remotely attached autonomous human devices.  The portion
of that data that is understood and used by the typical mud server
is extremely small and only then as a discontinuous series of
events.

Wouldn't it be marvellous if a mud server could analyze those
discreet inputs in a wider contextual window in order to develop
the tactics, strategy, story and language for its own projections?

I've just finished implementing my mud language interface to a
procedural reasoning system for programming tactics and strategies
into mud objects.  I call it Apollo.  I have the ability to log
interesting events and track their effects on a given object's
predefined inputs.  However, at this time the rules governing
action selection are static and programmed by the object creator.
Does anyone have any opinions, thoughts, or links on methods or
patterns to use in analyzing _player_ behavior over time to drive
rules creation?

--
--* Jon A. Lambert - TychoMUD        Email:jlsysinc at ix.netcom.com *--
--* Mud Server Developer's Page <http://tychomud.home.netcom.com> *--