[MUD-Dev] A footnote to Procedural Storytelling

Batir batir at frontiernet.net
Fri May 26 15:46:19 CEST 2000

----- Original Message -----
From: "Erik Jarvi" <ejarvi at megsinet.net>
To: <mud-dev at kanga.nu>
Sent: Thursday, May 25, 2000 8:11 PM
Subject: Re: [MUD-Dev] A footnote to Procedural Storytelling

> Semi side note: If you weren't there like me, or haven't seen it already.
> Check out: http://lum.xrgaming.net/roundtable/fiction/
>
> Erik

I read the roundtable.  On the topic of backstory, I'm a bit dismayed at
their thoughts.  Sorry Raph, but I think that when you are creating a world,
you need more than backstory.  Take UO for example.  Has a pretty impressive
backstory (all the previous Ultima's), but in my opinion, it's not quite
enough.  They are all related to the same time period, generaly, and are
about the same charactors.  You are creating a world, give it some history.
Short stories about different char's, (the Ultima's are basicly one story,
just different chapters), in many time periods.

If you have many short stories, some related to each other, some not, it
would give you a lot more to work with in 'present day'.  I personally find
the story lines in UO to be a bore.  I went to Trinsic, not to free the
town, but because that's where the best spawns were.  What I'd like to see,
as a player, are more dynamic stories.  They don't have to be big either.
Perhaps that NPC that wants an escort to a dungeon is doing so to gather
forces to attack a town.  If someone escorts him, he succeeds in getting an
army together, and the town comes under seige.  If not, that shard doesn't
have the seige.  Would make life in UO (and other games) a bit more
interesting.

I'm not the enemy Raph,
Batir,
Strat's & Stat's, UOSS