[MUD-Dev] A footnote to Procedural Storytelling

Raph Koster rkoster at austin.rr.com
Fri May 26 00:30:55 CEST 2000

Eep. What did I do? :)

More seriously--I'm with Nathan on this. I tell the guys on my team that a
designer should be able to do the job of any team member in a pinch. Not as
well, most likely, but in a pinch. Code a little, texture a little, map a
little, do some sounds, write a little, whatever--enough to understand what
goes on in each discipline, because the design has to account for how all
the pieces fit. The best designers are able to understand how all the parts
fit together so that the gameplay gets maximum use out of all of them.

It isn't so much that the designer necessarily *manages* those people in a
personnel sense (though in many segments of the industry, particularly the
console side of things, said person is a producer who also is the game
designer, and thus DOES manage all the disciplines).

All the good producers I have known in the industry also exhibit this sort
of multidisciplinary awareness (I hesitate to call it skill, since actual
skill isn't required, just knowing the lingo and being able to effectively
communicate with the various experts).

-Raph