[MUD-Dev] A footnote to Procedural Storytelling

Erik Jarvi ejarvi at megsinet.net
Thu May 25 19:11:01 CEST 2000

On Wed, May 24, 2000 at 01:15:07PM -1000, Nathan F Yospe wrote:
> On Tue, 23 May 2000, Lee Sheldon wrote:
> > On Sun, May 21, 2000 1:34 PM Erik Jarvi wrote:

> :> Not to knock on this guy in the interview, but it's along the
> :> same lines.
> :> When I first read this I laughed.  (I'm an audio geek.)
> :> from
> :> http://www.gamespot.com/features/diablo2diary_dd/122198/index.html
>
> :> GameSpot: Are you doing anything differently this time around when
> :> creating music as opposed to how you did things for Diablo I?
>
> :> Matt: Absolutely. ... I've learned a great deal about
> :> recording techniques in
> :> the past couple years...
>
> :LOL, yup.
>
> There's validity to the question... the designer (as opposed to the
> coders) has to know what her developers (be they code, sound, art, or
> whatever else) are doing, at some level, and manage their skill set.
> She also needs to know enough to make informed technology choices.

I don't understand your point here. Are you referring to the game designer
or the sound designer? I'm assuming game designer here. Why does the game
designer have to manage the developers skill sets?  (This is probably
me being out side the biz.)  I don't see the connection to the fact
that the sound designer in this interview is a musician, who it looked like
to me, learned about audio engineering on the job?

Semi side note: If you weren't there like me, or haven't seen it already.
Check out: http://lum.xrgaming.net/roundtable/fiction/

Erik

--
All music aspires to the condition of muzak.